The United Church of Canada
Drumbo-Richwood Pastoral Charge
P.O. Box 97, Drumbo, N0J 1G0
Sunday March 22, 2015
Fifth Sunday of Lent
Lay Preacher : Dave Money
Organist: Joan Shantz- Willis
Betty Ford – Richwood
*Indicates a time to stand if you are able.
Please respond with the words printed in bold
WELCOME & ANNOUNCEMENTS
Lighting of the Christ Candle
Christ is our Light.
Thanks be to God.
MINUTE FOR MISSION
Call to Worship
Is there something missing?
Have you experienced that feeling too?
Yes, I have, and I gather so have you.
Yes, we have as well. Perhaps that’s why we are here,
to experience something that is missing. So let us worship
the unifying Spirit as we sing and pray today.
Hymn VU # 333 “Love Divine, All Loves Excelling”
Patient God, you call, but we don’t listen,
you direct, and we go another way,
you challenge, and we sulk.
Foolish God, we crave power,
and you come in weakness,
we look to authority, and you give love,
we seek safety, and you lead us to the cross,
Compassionate God, forgive us.
Lord’s Prayer VU #959 (sung)
THE LENTEN CANDLES (see insert)
Ministry of Music
Hymn VU # 509 “I, the Lord of Sea and Sky”
Story for All
Scripture Jeremiah 31: 31-34
Psalm 119 Part Two VU 839
John 12: 20-33
Hymn VU #672 “Take Time to Be Holy”
Dedication VU 218 vs 1
Prayer of the People
Hymn VU #506 “Take My Life and Let It Be”
Announcements/ Upcoming Events
• Lorraine is in the office Wed. & Thurs. Mornings 9-12. Office Phone 519-463-5222.
• Coffee Time- Every Monday Morning from 9:30 a.m. – 11:30 a.m. @ Willis.
• Choir Practice – 9:20 a.m. at Richwood
- 10:30 a.m. at Willis
• Sun. Mar. 29 & Sun. Apr. 5 – Fran Bell will be the Lay Preacher.
Sun. Apr. 12 – Rev. Liz Lemon will do communion.
• Mon. Mar. 23 – Pizza Party Practice – 4-6 p.m. Everyone interested in Singing/Participating at Palm Sunday Park Lane Terrace on (Sun. March 29 1:30 p.m.) and Easter Sunday Services.
• Wed. Mar. 25 – Willis Session Meeting at 7 p.m. at Willis.
• Sun. Mar. 29 – Willis Outreach Service 1:30 p.m. at Park Lane Terrace, Paris ON - Willis Jonah Story Service will be presented.
• Fri. Apr. 3 Good Friday 10 a.m. In order to celebrate Easter we have to feel the sadness of Good Friday. Come and listen to the Good Friday story told in music “Footprints in the Sand at the Plattsville Missionary Church, Plattsville.
• Tues. Apr. 7 – Official Board at Willis at 7:30 p.m.
• Sun. Apr. 12 – Fellowship Lunch at Willis after church. Please bring Sandwiches and Squares.
Fifth Sunday in Lent
When we arrived this morning we entered into the normal bustle of a church on a Sunday morning: friends greeting each other, choir members getting their robes, children bringing their energy and enthusiasm. Now that we are sitting together in the pews, I invite you to close your eyes . . . and consider the word, “sanctuary.” A sanctuary is a place set aside for sacred things. It is a place of refuge and protection. This room is a sanctuary. The season of Lent is a kind of sanctuary, extended in time. And one of the things Lent teaches is that you, too, are a sanctuary. There is inside you a place for sacred things, a place where God abides.
As we extinguish this light, we acknowledge the darkness and pain of war and oppression in the world.
(A candle is extinguished.)
Let us pray:
Loving God, we open our hearts to you. We invite you into our inmost being, only to find you already there. Strengthen us in our quiet places and then lead us into the work of justice and peace. Amen.